Are you looking to crochet a heart but don’t know how? Maybe you need to crochet a heart for your craft project but aren’t having much success? Or are you curious and want to know more? Whatever your question is, we are here with the answers for you!
Crocheting a heart can seem tricky, especially if you have never done it before. After all, there are different edges to master, and the issue of getting both sides even.
So you head online for guidance but are met with conflicting advice leaving you unsure where to turn or who to trust. Frustrated and disappointed, you wonder if you will ever know how to crochet a heart and your craft remains unfinished in a drawer.
Well, no more! Today, we are here with the answers you need! Keep reading to learn how to crochet a heart and everything you need to know about the process.
We have a handy step-by-step guide that you can follow to create a wonderful crochet heart. What are you waiting for? Let’s get started today!
How To Crochet A Heart
Crocheting a heart isn’t as difficult as you might think. The pattern we have for you today is a basic one that doesn’t involve too many different stitches.
Once complete, the heart measures 4cm (1 ½ inch) at its widest point. It’s the perfect size for adding to other crafts, like blankets or scarves, or to make on its own.
We recommend using 100% mercerized cotton sport-weight yarn and a 3.0mm hook for the craft. You can use any color yarn you want, although we love this heart in a vibrant pink! Why not go wild and crochet lots of hearts in different colors?
Below we have the basic pattern written out for you to follow along. If you are familiar with crocheting, you can use this and get started! We have written it in both US and UK terms, so no matter the crochet language you are familiar with, you can create this pattern with ease!
Let’s get started!
To make the crochet heart, you first need to start with a magic ring. Once you have this, you can follow the steps below.
- Chain 2, 15 dc into ring, sl st into the top of the first dc.
- Chain 2, 1 dc into the same stitch, 4trc into the next stitch, 2 dc into the next stitch, 1 hdc into the next four stitches.
- To create the bottom of the heart do 1 dc, 1 trc, 1 dc into the next stitch.
- Next, go up the other side by doing 1 hdc into the next four stitches/ follow this with 2 dc into the next stitch, 4 trc into the next stitch, 1 dc, chain 2, and finish with sl st into the same stitch.
- Work the last slip stitch into the back of the heart to give you a smoother finish.
- Fasten off, pull your magic ring closed, and weave in the ends to complete your heart.
The pattern looks a little different if you are using UK terms so let’s look at how you would make the heart now.
Start with a magic ring before following the steps below:
- Chain 2, 15 tr into ring, sl st into the top of the first tr.
- Next, chain 2, 1 tr into the same stitch, 4 dtr into the next stitch, 2 tr into the next stitch, and 1 htr into the next four stitches.
- Now it’s time to create the bottom of the heart. Do this with 1 tr, 1 dtr, and 1 tr into the next stitch.
- To go up the other side, do 1 htr into the next four stitches. Follow this with 2 tr into the next stitch, 4 dtr into the next stitch, 1 tr into the next, chain 2 and sl st into the same stitch.
- Work the last slip stitch from the back of the heart to give a better and smoother finish.
- To finish, fasten off, pull the magic ring closed, and weave in the ends.
What Can I Do With My Crochet Heart?
There are a few things you can do with the heart once you have made it. They can be added to clothing like cardigans, sweaters, or even dresses.
You can also stitch them into patterns for accessories like scarves, hats, or bags. When doing so, you will want to check the pattern you are using to see if there are tips showing you how you can add to the pattern.
It’s worth noting that patterns don’t always come with tips on how to do this, so you might need to get creative!
Just make sure you are feeding the yarn back through so any joins between your heart and other yarn is not visible on the front of the clothes or accessories (unless you want it to be).
Another option is to add a chain to the top of the heart. This turns your heart into a cute hanging decoration.
They are wonderful to add to your kitchen, bedroom, or anywhere around your home. They also make wonderful bags or gift tags that your friends and family are sure to love!
Remember, the heart isn’t very big, so it can be a wonderful finishing touch. Or you can make a few of them with the loop and turn them into cute bunting. The choice is yours!
And there you have it, a step-by-step guide that allows you to crochet a heart with ease! This pattern creates a basic heart and can be done by beginners and more experienced crocheters!
Make sure you follow the steps provided carefully and keep your work as neat as possible for clean edges.
Don’t forget to check out online tutorials if you encounter any issues and practice the heart before you try and add it to a craft!